What a small word with warm rewards.
1. Helping is an extension ladder from us to the one in need.
It moves us from the realm of self to someone else.
2. Helping comes in various forms.
A listening ear to a troubled heart, a little direction to a lost person, an encouraging word during a discouraging time.
3. Helping may not be giving the right answer, but asking the right question.
Helping validates our purpose here on earth. It's a picture of the heavenly Helper offering just the right provision at just the right time.
4. Helping is its own antidote.
If you want help, the best
thing to do is to help someone else. For under each helping act is a hidden reward to the helper.
5. Each of us has a helping muscle, that if not regularly developed or exercised, will atrophy and die.
Exercise it and we live. To develop it, just look for opportunities to add life.
6. Helping is carrying out God's design for us.
Helping started with God, "For God so loved the world He gave.."
It is a pattern so strong, that if we don't follow it, we lose out on life itself.
7. Helping does have its costs.
Could be a few minutes to send a note. May be a little longer to check on a stranded traveler.
8. The opposite of helping ought to be called "Selfing."
Selfing would be circling the wagons or treating life as a rear guard action. It would be folding in to life with a "what's
in it for me" shell. True help looks for no return.
9. Helping is an attitude that precedes us like a wave.
It colors others' opinions of us even before we speak. It is placing our own agenda on hold, while directing our attention to the one lacking.
10. Helping is the highest form of expressing "I care."
The best helping, shhh, it's done in secret.